Wednesday 23 to Tuesday 29
A Heart for Duns Christmas Walking Treasure Hunt
Out with Monopoly and down with Scrabble! When you get bored of board games this Christmas, why not embark on an outdoor adventure with A Heart for Duns Christmas Treasure Hunt instead? The Hunt is a bit of socially distanced fun to get everyone out and about during the festive season, whether in family groups or with friends — the choice is yours. (However, you must follow the Government’s current social distancing guidelines at all times.)
Follow self-guided Treasure Hunt’s instructions through the streets and hidden corners of Duns. Crack the clues along the route to test your brain power and have some fun along the way. Before you know it, you’ve walked a couple of miles, taken in the highlights, put your heads together as a team and returned home with a massive smile on your face!
- Up to 6 people can take part within your team if more than 1 family, OR,
- As many people that are within your family bubble can form a team.
- Please remember this is for all ages.
- Please ensure your contact details/team name are on your entry form.
- All completed Answer Sheets must be:
emailed to: email@example.com (they can be scanned/photographed), OR, posted through the letterbox on the blue side door of the Volunteer Hall.
- Closing date/time for entries: by 9am Wednesday 30 December
- You can actually do the CWTH over more than 1 day — split it as you want.
- All the clues are in the correct order on the Questions & Answers sheet.
- Whilst the Route below gives a ‘Starting Point’ it is up to you where you start and finish when you’re out and about.
- Question 9 will be used as a tie-breaker IF REQUIRED.
If there is no clear winner after that then joint winners will be declared.
- Please note: all the Questions are in order of the route.
- Start at Border Baguettes in Market Square
- Cross to The Hungry Spot, then walk towards the Volunteer Hall, stopping as needed
- Keep going along South Street & Langtongate until you reach the old Primary School
- Turn left at the old Primary School and head towards the boardwalk
- At the boardwalk turn right and head towards the High School
- Go past the High School, continue until you reach the Clockmill to Grueldykes road
- Turn right and head towards Clockmill
- At Clockmill cross the road safely and turn right towards the front of the High School
- Before the road up to the Pool cross safely over towards the High School
- Keep heading back into Duns past the High School and Reivers Garage
- When you reach the end of old Primary School cross the road safely — head into Duns
- Keep going past the Fire station and Jim Clark Museum
- Before you get to Gourlays Wynd cross safely over Newtown Street
- Keep going towards Castle Street — past the back of the Co-op
- At Castle Street turn right towards Market Square
- When you reach Market Square you are finished.
If you would like a printable sheet with the above instructions, please download here.
We hope you’ll join us for this year’s festive adventure around Duns.
Monday 28, 6.30pm
The Big Christmas Quiz
‘Tis the season to get quizzing — a great opportunity to challenge your family and friends in our live, interactive online quiz, where our Question Master Jim will pose a range of questions based on the following categories:
For this festive edition of our Not the Community Quiz, we have special prizes from two local businesses in Duns:
1st prize: £30 voucher from the Jim Clark Café Bistro
2nd prize: £20 voucher from Border Baguettes.
Let’s get together, have some fun, and have a chance at winning a prize for your team!
This free event will be hosted online via Zoom.
Teams can be made up of as many people as you like but please keep to the self isolation and social distancing restrictions in your location. Suitable for children aged 10+ with their grown-ups (under 18s should be accompanied by an adult).