A Heart for Duns
Caretaker/Cleaner, Volunteer Hall
Permanent part-time contract
Start date: 1 August 2019
Hours per week: 10 hours minimum (flexible)
Hourly rate: £8.45
A Heart for Duns (AHFD) is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) and a Development Trust, which has been operating the Volunteer Hall in Duns since April 2015. The Hall was built in 1895 as a Drill Hall for the local Volunteer Battalion of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers. From the very beginning it has also been used as an entertainment venue. It was one of the earliest places that showed films in the Borders and offered a home for variety, dancing, music and theatre, as well as trade fairs, displays and a range of other activities. It contains the main Hall (a flat-floored space with a seating capacity of around 400), a smaller hall that holds around 60 people, a small meeting room and a number of offices. It has a well-equipped kitchen and bar.
It operates with a small core of paid staff – Development Manager, Admin and Events Coordinator, Finance Assistant, Handyman – supported by a substantial body of volunteers. The Hall has benefitted from a range of grant funding and continues to seek grants to develop the site.
We are looking for a hard-working, honest, dependable, self-motivated person to act as hall caretaker/cleaner, willing to support the aims and values of A Heart for Duns. It is a job with flexible hours: the average is 10 hours per week, but may be more than this according to the number of hall bookings, and will include evenings and weekends with occasional late nights/early mornings. You will be paid £8.45 per hour for all hours worked, with appropriate holiday, sickness and other conditions.
- Reports to Admin and Events Coordinator (AEC)
- Undertakes the day to day care of the Volunteer Hall and its surrounds
- Works flexibly to meet the needs of the Hall and its users.
Day to Day Care of the Volunteer Hall
The postholder is responsible for ensuring that the Volunteer Hall makes a good impression on users:
- Cleans all areas of the Hall according to need and in line with a schedule developed in conjunction with the AEC.
- Maintains stocks of cleaning equipment and materials in liaison with the AEC.
- Liaises with booking system to lay out Hall/other facilities according to client needs, including general porterage duties and moving of furniture.
- Manages heating and other control systems to ensure comfort of users in the most efficient manner.
- Reports maintenance issues to AEC.
- Ensures the hall grounds are well maintained.
- Makes minor repairs and maintains small equipment.
- Ensures effective waste disposal in line with agreed procedures.
- Uses cleaning equipment and materials in line with health and safety advice.
Works flexibly to meet the needs of the Hall and its users
- Attends Hall during events organised by non-core clients (core clients are those who have designated keyholders).
- Within the appropriate constraints — health and safety etc. – ensures that clients and other users can use the Hall flexibly and comfortably.
- Registers as a main key holder and be a point of contact in an emergency callout situation.
- Is responsible for overall security of the hall premises, including checking and securing after out-of-hours use.
- The postholder will work flexibly as required over seven days.
- A schedule for out-of-hours duties will be developed by the AEC on a monthly basis, but may be subject to change.
- The postholder may be required to work late at night/early in the morning on an occasional basis.
Pay and Conditions
- Pay will be £8.45 per hour.
- The postholder will work an average of 10 hours per week.
- Holidays, sickness and other allowances will be in accordance with statutory requirements, as will other conditions of service.
- The postholder will be paid monthly in arrears.
We are looking for a reliable, courteous, customer-oriented, hands-on individual, with excellent practical skills. You will have a proactive approach to your work and deliver each task to a high standard.
- Closing date for applications is 23 July 2019
- Email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
By applying for this position you are declaring you are legally entitled to work in the UK and are able to provide the appropriate documentation as proof. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.